Sunday, September 20, 2009

You're not charming

Some days I wake up and wonder how different I could possibly be from my old high school teachers. Although it was many moons ago, and I was the center of the universe, there had to be a point when my teachers looked out at me and thought to themselves, 'You aren't charming, funny or even interesting.' Now a teenager cannot conceive of this idea. We all know that when we were teenagers we were exactly the opposite...but something tells me that we were the only ones thinking this at the time. I watch so many kids vying for attention. They use volume, mediocre to actually quite insightful witticisms, and they take....I mean they take all the time. They walk up to my desk and snatch my stapler, tape, paper, etc, for no other reason than to get my attention. They love my attention. I sometimes react to this by saying,"Oh my, you really need my attention today. What can I do to give you more attention? I sure don't want you to feel sad because I'm not giving you enough attention!" I pursue them around the room until they hide from embarrassment. It is effective, but takes more energy or specific opportunity than I have to offer them all the time, but when I can do this, it works well.
I'd like to end the year with a bang, but I'm afraid that, like a colleague stated to me today, "I'm capable of caring less than the students." It is nice when they do care, but it is rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment